Clean St. John’s and The City of St. John’s are seeking visual artists to design and create innovative painted art for traffic boxes. These boxes are the green metal boxes at intersections throughout the City that control the operation of the traffic signals. The selected artists will receive an honorarium of $500.00 to cover fees and supplies. Paint will be provided.
This Traffic Box Program is a wonderful way to engage local artists to design and create painted visual art while reducing unwanted tagging and markings on the boxes.
Proposals should include:
- Artwork concept description with a rough sketch of the design
- 3 images of past painted work
- Artist bio
- Artist website link, if available
- Complete Contact Information including email address, mailing address and phone number
A jury will select proposals that display ability with colour, design, technique and creativity. Concepts need to clearly illustrate an original design that is respectful and suitable for a traffic box.
- Traffic boxes are approximately 30 inches wide, 17 inches deep and 56 inches high. Some of the boxes are three sided and some four. Your design should be developed with this in mind.
- The traffic box will be cleaned and primed prior to painting
- Exterior latex paint will be provided in a selection of colours
- Artists are to supply their own brushes, containers and drop cloth
- Boxes are to be painted on all sides
- A safety vest will be provided and must be worn during painting
- Once artwork is dry, a protective coating will be applied by the City of St. John’s
- Selected artists must attend a planning meeting at City Hall to discuss details of the program
- Artists should have some flexibility in their schedule for painting the second/third week in August weather permitting
- Proposals must be received by June 28, 2019. Apply by email to email@example.com or by mail to Clean St. John’s, 10 New Gower Street, P O Box 908, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5M2. Attention, Karen Hickman.